Often imitated, never duplicated                     Mixed Media - artwork using more than one medium.

Monday, December 1, 2014

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #7 - Tic Tac Toe

Welcome to the December 2014 Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - 
Tic Tac Toe!! 



We are thrilled to have you with us for our December challenge!! We are so lucky that the amazing online store Inspiration Emporium is sponsoring our challenge this month. They are generously offering a $25 gift card for our Random Winner and a discount code for anyone reading this right now!! Just use the code MMMC for 10% off your entire order!!



We are also excited to introduce our December 2014 Guest Designer - Joy Kennedy!! Joy is an amazing mixed media artist who owns the Inspiration Emporium. Later in this post you can read more about Joy and see the fabulous project she made for our Tic Tac Toe Challenge.
 
DESIGN TEAM HOST - DONNA

I'm Donna and I'll be hosting the challenge this month. The theme for this month's challenge is Tic Tac Toe. Just pick 3 in a row and use those products to create any type of mixed media project. My 3 in a row are Star, Glitter, Die/Punch - that's how I made the glittery smaller star. I'm going to show you my project for this challenge along with a tutorial. Keep going and you will see the projects from our Guest Designer Joy Kennedy and the other MMMC Designers. I know you will be inspired to make something amazing!

Here's my finished 8x10 canvas. 
Here's how I made it. 

First, I gathered some pink patterned papers and adhered them to the canvas using Decoupage. I was inspired to make the patchwork background after watching a video by Christy Tomlinson where she made a patchwork background for her canvas. I colored the pieces with different colors of pink using Faber Castell Stampers Big Brush Pens. I also colored all the seams to make them stand out. 

After I started coloring I played with it a lot and added some darker pinks to get more contrast.



Next, I cut a large triangle from patterned paper and adhered it to the canvas. For the collage tree, I collected all the embellishments I could find that I could cover with Gesso. 

Here's what they looked like.


Then I put all the pieces in the triangle to make sure I had enough to cover the tree. 


Then I covered all the pieces with spray Gesso.



Finally, I sprayed all the pieces green using a Heidi Swapp Color Shine Spray in Citron and adhered them to the canvas using a hot glue gun. For the star I cut a piece of canvas into the shape of a star and painted it with gold paint. Then I cut a star shape and added paint and gold glitter to create the smaller star. To finish off the project I outlined the tree with a Stampers Big Brush pen and added stamps and rub-ons to the background.

Thanks for visiting us and I can't wait to see what you create and how many ways you can make Tic Tac Toe!!

DECEMBER GUEST DESIGNER - JOY KENNEDY


Hello!  I'm Joy Kennedy and I am thrilled to be this month's guest designer for The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.  I have been paper crafting for 10 years now and my family owns an online store called Inspiration Emporium.  I live in beautiful Southern California, just a few minutes away from Disneyland, which is a frequent hang out for the family.  I love sports and New Kids on the Block.  :)  I'm a computer geek by day, but love to spend the evenings in my craft room just getting "lost" in a project.

Joy made a beautiful Christmas card using the Tim Holtz Snowman Blueprint Stamp. She made Tic Tac Toe by using a die (snowman), ribbon and stamps.

Die Cut, Stamp, Ribbon


Now more inspiration from our Design Team...

RACHEL
Die Cuts, Stars, Glitter


Glitter, Bow, Ribbon

Glitter, Bow, Ribbon, Tape, Star, 
Patterned Paper, Stencil, Die, Stamps, Glitter


LYNN K
Stencil, Glitter, Patterned Paper
 
Melanie

Star, Patterned Paper, Ribbon

Please visit each designer's blog post to see details on how the project was created... also make sure to leave them some love while you're there!


We don't have many rules, but ask that you do follow the ones we have! 
* Mention in your post how you made a TIC TAC TOE in your project
* Your post must link back to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge post
* Add a link to your direct post, not your entire blog
* You can combine with as many other challenges as you want.
* You can enter up to 5 times, create whatever you want, and HAVE FUN!
You have until December 31st at 11:59 pm EST to enter! Remember... a random lucky winner will get a $25 Inspiration Emporium gift certificate!

5 comments:

  1. Happy to play along with stamps, glitter and tape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great inspiration from the DT! lovely projects ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the fun challenge and fabulous DT inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always blown away by the DT creations, these are gorgeous! Thanks for another wonderful challenge, super fun as always! Happy New Year, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #7 "Tic-Tac" introduces an intriguing dimension to artistic expression. Helpful Tips On How To Improve Your Gaming Posture This theme challenges artists to infuse their creations with a sense of movement and rhythm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!